Thursday, March 15, 2012

[in the kitchen] Banana Cake

This Banana Cake is quick & easy, a great way to use up any bananas that have passed their prime.

My original recipe inspiration comes from a fantastic Family Circle Kids' Cookbook I was given for Xmas when I was around 13. A lot of my baking & desserts originate from this book, because they are quick & easy to make AND they are simple but delicious tastes... but with most of them I've "pimped" them to suit my tastes, or more adult flavours or just because I like messing around with recipes to see what I can concoct!


What's in it...
  • 100g butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup SR white flour*
  • 1 cup SR wholemeal flour*
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup sultanas (optional)
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed

    *note: I have successfully substituted gluten free flour in this recipe, it still works fabulously
Put it together...
  1. Preheat oven to 180C.
  2. Grease & flour a small loaf tin, or line with baking paper.
  3. Melt the butter in microwave safe mixing bowl.
  4. Add sugar, vanilla & egg, beating well with a wooden spoon until smooth.
  5. Sift in flours, don't stir yet.
  6. Add milk, mashed banana & sultanas, stir until just combined.
  7. Spread evenly in tin & bake for 35-40 minutes or until cooked through & golden on top.

The visuals...
Steps 1 to 6
Step 7
TIPS:
I have adapted this from the original recipe over the years, mainly adding sultanas or other fruit/nuts, reducing the sugar by 1/2, and substituting 1/2 the flour for wholemeal. Sometimes I will use honey instead of sugar, depending on my mood - the amount of honey I use also depends on my mood & whether I have added sultanas (which increase the sweetness).
I have also recently become a fan of baking cakes in loaf tins, it makes cutting up & storing slices a lot easier than round tins.  It's also a lot easier to cut a 'small slither' than it is to cut a small wedge.




No comments:

Post a Comment